Thursday, July 18, 2019

Rainbows

Our church is having VBS this week, and I've had the pleasure of being there to help with registration and other various tasks. Last night, while the kids were all in their assigned stations, a gorgeous rainbow appeared in the sky in front of the chuch. It was probably the most perfect rainbow I've ever seen in my life-- vibrant enough to see every color, visible from one end to the other, and a double! Several other adults and I went out to take pictures and remarked on how infrequently we have had the pleasure of seeing such a perfect rainbow. It was a beautiful reminder of God's goodness, which incidentally, is the theme of VBS this year (if you visit us any time soon, you will hear my boys recitinv some version of "When life is ____, God is good!").

Shortly before the rainbow disappeared, Davyd's group went outside to see it. By this point only part of it was visible and it was very light, but they were still astounded by it. On the way home, the boys and I talked about rainbows being signs of God's promise to never again destroy the earth by a flood, like He did in the time of Noah. They both thought it was "super cool" for God to make a promise like that. Later, while we recounted all of this to Matt, Davyd told us that seeing the rainbow assured him that God is real (no, my 6 year old did not use the word "assured", but I can't remember his exact words, so I'm paraphrasing). 

As I reflected on that conversation later, I was touched by the way that God came close to Davyd last night and revealed Himself to him. He does this for all of us in one way or another. The thing is, He doesn't have to. He doesn't need us, or anything for that matter. He is all-sufficient, lacking in nothing, but He desires to be near His people. What a blessing it was to witness my son recognizing God's presence! May I pause often and long enough to do the same. 

No comments: