Monday, July 22, 2019

Macaroni & Cheese Faith

Eating lunch with my daughter today reminded me of what faith looks like. 
This girl loves macaroni and cheese like no one else I know (and that's saying something because a love of cheesy pasta runs deep in this family). Even at 2, she knows how to savor something good. She murmurs "mmmm" and other appreciative noises as she closes her eyes and takes another bite. She is not at all concerned that the macaroni and cheese will run out before she has had her fill. She has faith that more will appear when she needs it, 
I envy this ability she has, and I want to cultivate it in my life. 
See, I know that God will provide all of my needs (Philippians 4:19 "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus), but I don't live like it. Instead of savoring the good gifts God gives me, I tend to either hoard them in fear of losing them, or I don't even pay attention to them. I'm blinded to his provisions because I'm focused on my will and desires rather than His. 
So, how do we cultivate this macaroni and cheese kind of faith? How do we learn to savor God's good gifts? I think there are several ways. 
First, begin our days with thanksgiving. When we get into the habit of identifying and verbalizing the things we are grateful for, our hearts and minds will being to be more focused on God's provision than our perceived lack. 
Second, spend time studying and meditating on God's Word. Throughout Scripture we see evidence of God's gracious provisions, and we can trust that just as God provided mana for a bunch of ungrateful Israelites, so too will he provide for us. We may not always get the same amount of macaroni and cheese that we want. In fact, we may not even get any, but we can always trust that whatever God gives or withholds is for our good and His glory.https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1vJ8-UYXOmZD6UpWkS5FMVkmpO7uLsyPX

No comments: